If you are in an area where mangos are insanely abundant, you may have a hard time figuring out what to do with them, how to prepare them, or who to hand them off to before they disappear from the trees at the end of this month. Fortunately, this mango pop tart recipe (pop tarts from scratch, not “Pop Tarts” in case you were wondering) is pretty much food from the heavens.
And, while I’ve got you, as you are buried in a pile of mangos in preparation for your pop tart creations, you’re probably wondering, “where did the mango come from?” Not wondering that? Umph. Read on to learn something new…
Mangos are native to India and considered to be sacred. According to legend, mango trees grant wishes. In the 10th century, mangos made their way through Asia and Africa. Portuguese explorers brought mangos to Brazil and made their way to Mexico, the Caribbean, and Florida in the 1800s.
Related Post: 3 Must-Have Mango Recipes for the Season
Mangos also have great health benefits. They are high in vitamin A & C and are rich in antioxidants, contributing to glowing skin and healthy hair. Mangos also have vitamin E, helping to regulate sex hormones and boost sex drive. They can aid in digestion, support eye and heart health, and may help in preventing diseases such as diabetes.
Lucky for us mango lovers out there, we are reaping all the benefits.
BTW, this is a two part recipe. The mango jam for the filling and the pastry for the pop tart. Check it out and tell us how they are make homemade mango pop-tarts!
Mango Pop Tart Jam (the filling): Ingredients
- 2 cups mango fresh or frozen, diced
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
Mango Pop Tart Jam: Preparation
- Using a medium heavy-bottomed pot, add all the ingredients, plus 2 tablespoons of water. Over medium heat.
- Once the Jam comes to a boil, turn the heat to low. Use a potato masher to break up any larger pieces.
- Cook on low for 15 minutes or until the jam has become thick.
- Once the jam has finished cooking. Set aside to let cook.
- Store jam in a glass container.
Mango Pop Tart: Ingredients
- 1 package of pie dough, thawed
- 2 cups mango jam (see above)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 to 3 dehydrated mango pieces, diced
Mango Pop Tart: Preparation
- Preheat oven to 375℉F.
- Roll out pie dough onto a floured surface. Cut dough into three even sections, then cut into three sections. Cut eight even rectangles. ( four tops and four bottoms).
- Fill four sections of dough with 3 tablespoons of jam.
- Cover with another section of dough. Seal with your fingers and crimp with a fork. Using your fork, poke a few holes in the top piece of dough.
- Brush with egg wash and repeat steps on the other pop tarts.
- Bake for 10 -12 minutes. Until golden brown.
- Let cool for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze. Whisk together powdered sugar and heavy cream. Should be thick and not runny.
- Drizzle glaze over cooled pop tarts and sprinkled dehydrated mango over the tops.